Eliminate Recess Fill!!!
ITW ClearDrive™ Recess Solves Industry Problem
ClearDrive™ is a feature added to the head of a fastener allowing a free channel for organic coatings to flow during the dip spin process and eliminating unnecessary sorting.
The ClearDrive™ Recess feature
After years of sorting out defective fasteners due to recess fill, automakers and automotive suppliers can now benefit from the ClearDrive™ Recess from ITW Shakeproof. The fastener, which can be used in many automotive applications, provides a solution to an industry wide problem by eliminating recess fill.
- Allows for the use of low-cost high-performance organic coatings
- Ensures better bit engagement
- Works with industry standard drivers
- Eliminates recess fill and cost of quality
“Historically, we’ve seen recess fill rates in the5-10 percent range, however they can be as high as 20 percent,” said Seina Savoji, General Manager, ITW Shakeproof. “Our ClearDrive™ Recess has eliminated the problem and will provide innovation within the coating industry to allow for further cost savings for our customers.”
GM and Chrysler have both incorporated the ClearDrive™ Recess on production fasteners.
ITW’s ClearDrive™ Recess can be manufactured with several head designs:
- Round Washer
- Oval Countersunk
- Socket or Cap
- Flat Countersunk
The ClearDrive™ Recess feature is a cold headed feature that allows excess plating to easily flow out during the dip-spin process
- COST SAVINGS – The Cleardrive™ recess feature can reduce manufacturing cost 70% per pound by replacing high-cost electro platings with low-cost high-performance organic coatings .
- AUTOMATION – The Cleardrive™ recess feature allows for assembly automation by ensuring a clear recess
- UNIVERSAL PERFORMANCE – The Cleardrive™ recess feature can be specified as an optional head construction for driver sizes T20-T40 in pan-head and round-washer head configurations and ensures bit-fit performance and offers equivalent mechanical performance to comparable standard six-lobe recessed drives
- TORQUE TENSION – The Cleardrive™ recess feature allows for the use of organic coatings which provide a lower and more consistent torque tension characteristic compared to electroplates
- ERGONOMICS – The Cleardrive™ recess feature improves assembly productivity by eliminating poor bit engagement caused by recess fill
- CORROSION – The Cleardrive™ recess feature allows for the use of low-cost high-performance organic coatings which provide superior resistance to corrosion